Hi everyone,

Now you know that I’m the queen of procrastination, especially when it’s about writing my blog.

However, I will try to summerize my last few weeks as much as I can.

Let’s go back tot he first week of December when the summer holiday started for all children and teachers.

After the amazing week at the coast, I went back to Rehoboth. I spent three nights at the farm helping the owners to feed all the animals, building a new chicken house, riding horses and a lot more.

On the 6th December I went to the Oanob Dam in Rehoboth where the Canoe Polo Camp was taking place.

Anton, our project manager, had organised a well structured camp, from the 1st to the the 10th of December, where anyone who loves water sports could join.

The alarm in the morning was at 7 am and at 10 pm the lights were switched off. We did lots of different activities, like canoeing, rowing, fishing, water skiing, wake boarding, building rafts, doing triathlons, sailing and much more. At the end of the day we usual braaid or cooked some afrikaan meals all together. One night the other volunteers and I slept under the Namibian starry night, an amazing experience.

The week after, I trained at the Dam with my little canoe polo players. A volunteer from Otjiwarongo, Merle, stayed in Rehoboth with Aaron and me. I showed her around, where our school is and all the nice places in the neighbourhood. We got along very well, watching sunsets, taking photos, reading a lot and much more.

On the 15th of December, a very important day finally arrived. My family landed at 7 am at the Windhoek International Airport.

I surprised them by fetching them at the arrivals, without let them know anything.

We rented the car we had booked and drove from the airport to Windhoek. There I introduced them to my project manager Anton, who welcomed them with a hot coffee and some Rusks.

In the afternoon , we drove to Rehoboth, to the Oanob Dam, where I had booked them a little chalet for three nights. My brother, instead, slept with Aaron and me in our flat in Rehoboth. During those three days, I showed my family around, from the house where I’m living, the Bootshaus at the Dam, the swimming pool where I’m going to train the kids in January, the people in Rehoboth, to the Origo Primary School and much more.

On the 17th of December, I celebrated my birthday in a really relaxed way, with my family. I realised that it has been a while since I spent my whole birthday with Felix and my parents. Altough, I would do it again.

On the 19th of December our road trip to South Africa started. We drove to the farm where I spent my last weekends, spending one night there. My parents and my brother finally met my new friends, Anra and Friedrich. They welcomed my family with a braai and my mum and I cooked „Trofie al pesto“ for them. It was a really nice night.

The day after, Anra, my mum and I went out for a horse ride while my dad and Felix, my brother, went out to practice shooting. We really enjoyed these activities and the night at the farm.

On the same day we drove 4 hours to Swakopmund, to the cold Atlantic Ocean.

We spent two nights there. We visited Swakopmund, Walvis Bay, drove tot he Pelican Point to see all the seals, climbed on dune 7 and so much more that I actually can’t remember everything we did.

On the 21th Felix and I also participated in the Volley Ball Bash, a Beach Volley tournament, which was a really fun experience and a good occasion for my brother to meet the other volunteers.

After Swakopmund we drove to Solitaire, where we ate the world wide famous apple cake. We slept two nights in an Adventure Soft Camp, where we went hiking, swimming in a really cold pool and ate a lot of meat.

The next destination was the fanstastic orange dunes of Sossusvlei. We arrived there at opening hour, at sunrise, and climbed on the Big Daddy, apparently one of the highest dunes in the world.

We slept one night on a really cosy farm before reaching the fishing town of Lüderitz. We spent Christmas there. It was a really different experience than we were used to, but I could say, it was one of the best Christmas I can remember.

We stayed there for two nights. We visited the town and Kolmanskop, the ghost town.

Next was the Fish River Canyon, the second biggest canyon in the world, after the Grand Canyon obviously. We stayed there for three days, enjoying the sun, the heath and hiking around the mointains, the activity my mum loves best.

It was our last stop in Namibia, because on the 28th of December we passed the Namibian border to South Africa.

We slept one night next to a little town called Springbok where we had our first South African braai.

The next day we drove to Klein Wilhelm, where we spent one night in the most beautiful place I have ever seen in my life. There was no electricity, no wifi, we could only swim in the river, relax in a hammock, read books and much more than we usually do when we get hypnotized by our phones.

On the 30th we finally arrived in the big city, Cape Town.

We met my Belgian aunt there, who has lived in Cape Town for 20 years. She showed us around and invited us for dinner in a nice cowboy steak house.

It was a sort of culture shock, coming from weeks of deserts and solitude, facing all these sky skrapers, limousines, waves of tourists, endless queues to go tot he toilette and everything a big city has around New Years Day.

Felix and I spent the new year with the other volunteers from Namibia and South Africa in Cape Town. We danced till sunrise and enjoyed our first big African New Year‘s party.

During these few days we visited the city, the botanic garden, the georgeous white beaches and on the last day I used my birthday voucher that the volunteers gave me to go paragliding.

On the 2nd of January, we continued our road trip on the Garden Route, also called Route 62.

We slept three nights at Mossel Bay, where we visited Wilderness and George. We enjoyed our days, swimming in the Indian Ocean, relaxing, hiking but especially spending time together.

On the 5th of January, we drove back to Cape Town where our amazing and unforgetable road trip was going to end. It was really hard to say goodbye to my family, which I’m not going to see again for eight months. After very big hugs they managed to catch their plane and fly back to Europe.

In the meanwhile I took the Intercape, a really cheap bus ( same concept of the Flixbus in EU) which got me to Rehoboth in 22 hours.

On the 15th the summer holiday was finished, so we had to go back to school, or better yet, we were happy to start school again. This is another story because it’s already the fourth of the month.

I will let you know as soon as I can about the beginning of my year in Rehoboth.

Hope you enjoyed.



Inserisci i tuoi dati qui sotto o clicca su un'icona per effettuare l'accesso:

Logo di WordPress.com

Stai commentando usando il tuo account WordPress.com. Chiudi sessione /  Modifica )

Foto Twitter

Stai commentando usando il tuo account Twitter. Chiudi sessione /  Modifica )

Foto di Facebook

Stai commentando usando il tuo account Facebook. Chiudi sessione /  Modifica )

Connessione a %s...